Powered by Paperitalo
To apply for this job, you must first register as an applicant. Register here.
Paper Mill Shift ManagerPratt Paper Valparaiso Valparaiso, Indiana
Pratt’s paper mill in Valparaiso, Indiana is currently seeking a Paper Mill Shift Manager. Exciting opportunities exist for a very aggressive hands-on team player who is self-motivated and has good people and computer skills. The Shift Manager is responsible for leading their entire designated crew for safety, production, training, maintenance, and housekeeping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report to Manufacturing Manager any information that may impede the operation of the plant as soon as it becomes known.
- Team management and guidance on a rotating shift basis
- Ability to lead and develop team individuals on crew and recognize training opportunities for all individuals
- Provide paper making and stock preparation expertise to optimize process systems
- Implement downtime and cost reduction opportunities
- Assist operations and maintenance in troubleshooting process systems to minimize or eliminate safety, environmental, quality or production problems
- Work individually or with team members to develop scopes, estimates, and justification for projects
- Understand quality and specifications of all grades produced and understanding correlation to machine settings
- Daily reports, conducting shift meetings, safety training and management
- Comply with company policies and procedures
- Additional duties as assigned by management
- Willing to work 12 hour rotating shift work
- The individual must possess the following:
- Superior time management skills including the ability to manage multiple issues concurrently.
- Excellent employee relations skills including being an active listener.
- Excellent crisis manager who demonstrates that he/she has a high emotional control.
- Demonstrated confidence including providing a consistent leadership style with an acceptable level of professional assertiveness.
- Professional appearance to support his/her role as a managerial representative of the company. Ability to influence others.
- Excellent decision-making and organizational skills.
- Ability to gather information and perform root cause analysis and problem solving
- Ability to create reports for review by upper management
- Ability to lead teams in waste reduction efforts
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Advanced knowledge and experience in paper making, process engineering, &plant operations.
- To include: Raw Materials, Stock Preparation equipment and water systems, Approach Flow and water systems, Vacuum Systems, Fourdrinier table management, pressing equipment including “Shoe Press”, Dryers, Hood and Steam systems, Limited attendance boiler operations, Size Press systems, Soft-Nip Calendar operations, Pope Reeler, Re-winder and roll handling systems and familiarity with paper machine chemical process applications
- Experience with DCS Control Systems
- Ability to lead root cause analysis and problem solving teams
- Analytical and field troubleshooting skills
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Shift work schedules are (12) hours.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Years of Experience5-9
- Post-secondary educational degree (2 to 4 year degree from college, university, technical school, vocational or other advanced educational institution) or military experience required.
- Candidates are PREFERRED who offer the following:
Mechanical, Chemical Engineering or Paper Science degree
- Post-secondary educational degree (2 to 4 year degree from college, university, technical school, vocational or other advanced educational institution) or military experience required
- Hands on paper making experience is a must
- At least 5 to 10 years of Paper Mill manufacturing experience